In light of the current outbreak of the norovirus onboard the Celebrity Mercury, here are some considerations:
- Pack extra soap, a supply of Lysol, alcohol-based sanitizers like Purell and a bottle of Pepto-Bismol, just in case.
- Wash up every time you eat, smoke, touch your face, use the bathroom or just have dirty hands.
- Avoid uncooked food as much as possible, stick to bottled water and don’t share drinking glasses and eating utensils.
- Limit physical contact with other passengers.
- If you do get sick on the cruise, visit the ship’s doctor and drink plenty of water as dehydration is a common side-effect.
- Remain quarantined in your cabin to prevent spreading the illness to others.
- Use hand-sanitizers located throughout the ship.
- Be a patient patient: expect to wait three or more days before symptoms subside—and another couple of days before you recover.
Although not health-related, this will perk you up: expect to get some reimbursement or gift certificate toward another trip.
Do you have any other suggestions?